Roku is increasingly positioning itself as a source of quality streaming entertainment, with tons of third-party content as well as Roku Originals, to complement Roku streaming media players like streaming sticks and soundbars.
On the one hand, a report of Enable advice shows that The Roku Channel is now the fifth most popular streaming service. And it offers an estimated US audience of over 70 million viewers over 80,000 movies and TV shows on demand. Plus, like all streamers, The Roku Channel is ramping up quickly on the original programming side. And he plans to launch dozens of original shows over the next two years.
New Roku Channel Movies in March
That effort really stepped up with Roku’s purchase of a library of programs from the now-defunct Quibi. Meanwhile, other original efforts in this direction include titles like the WEIRD: The story of “Weird Al” Yankovic. For this film which will soon arrive on the platform, actor Daniel Radcliffe will play the singer. With Rachel Evan Wood also making an appearance as Madonna in the film.
As mentioned, there are also tons of third-party titles to enjoy on The Roku Channel. And some of these new action movies to check out this month include, with descriptions provided by Roku:
- Armageddon— After discovering that a Texas-sized asteroid will hit Earth in less than a month, NASA recruits a misfit team of deep drillers to save the planet.
- man on fire — In Mexico City, a former CIA agent swears revenge on those who committed an unspeakable act against the family he was assigned to protect.
- Open range — A former gunslinger is forced to take up arms again. This is after he and his cattle crew were threatened by a corrupt lawman.
- Takers — A group of bank robbers have their multi-million dollar plan interrupted by a badass detective.
- blue band — A former convict poses as a cop to retrieve a diamond he stole years ago.
New dramas available to watch on The Roku Channel
- The Beasts of the Wild South – Confronted with both the declining health of his angry father and the melting ice caps flooding his ramshackle bayou community and freeing ancient aurochs, six-year-old Hushpuppy must learn the ways of courage and love .
- An education – A coming-of-age story about a teenage girl in suburban 1960s London. And how her life changes with the arrival of a playboy nearly twice her age.
- She – A successful businesswoman finds the stranger who raped her.
- No good deed — An unstable escapee terrorizes a lonely woman with her two children.
- Jack’s New Town — A crime lord rises to power and becomes a megalomaniac. Meanwhile, a maverick police detective vows to arrest him.
- Any Sunday — A behind-the-scenes look at the life-and-death struggles of modern gladiators and those who lead them.
- Selena — The true story of Selena, a Texas-born Tejano singer who rose from cult status to the Astrodome, as well as having albums topping the Latin music charts.
- Cake – Acerbic and hilarious Claire Bennett is fascinated by the suicide of a woman from her chronic pain support group. As she uncovers the details of Nina’s suicide and develops a harrowing relationship with Nina’s husband, she also grapples with her own raw personal tragedy.
Romance movies added
- Brooklyn— An Irish immigrant lands in 1950s Brooklyn, where she quickly falls into a romance with a local. However, when her past catches up with her, she must choose between two countries and the lives that take place there.
- brown sugar — Friends since childhood, a magazine editor and a hip-hop record executive stumble into romantic territory.
- something must give — A swinger about to be a senior with a taste for younger women falls in love with an accomplished woman closer to his age.
- The disappearance of Eleanor Rigby – The story of a couple as they try to reclaim the life and love they once knew. As well as picking up the pieces of a perhaps too distant past.
More movies to come
In addition to action and romance movies, The Roku Channel will, of course, also have plenty of movies for comedy lovers to enjoy this month. These include:
- Shrek— An evil lord exiles fairy tale creatures to the swamp of a grumpy ogre, who must go on a quest and save a princess for the lord to reclaim his land.
- Shrek 2 — Shrek and Fiona travel to the kingdom of Far Far Away, where Fiona’s parents are king and queen, to celebrate their wedding. When they arrive, they find that they are not as welcome as they thought.
- Battle of the sexes – The true story of the 1973 tennis match between Billie Jean King and ex-champion and serial hustler Bobby Riggs.
- The sixth man – A college athlete comes back from the dead to help his brother’s basketball team win the NCAA title.
- Shallow Hal — A superficial man falls in love with a 300 pound woman because of her inner beauty.
- Office space — Three corporate employees who hate their jobs decide to rebel against their greedy boss.
- Super Troopers— Five Vermont state troopers attempt to save their jobs and outwork the local police department.
- Super Troopers 2 — When a border dispute arises between the United States and Canada, the Super Troopers are tasked with establishing a highway patrol post in the disputed area.
- 9 to 5 — Three employees of a sexist, selfish, lying, hypocritical fanatic turn the tables on him.
More comedies to come
- Ace Ventura: Animal Detective — A zany animal detective searches for the missing Miami Dolphins mascot.
- Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls — The titular pet sleuth returns to investigate the disappearance of a rare white bat.
- Beverly Hills Troop – A soon-to-be-divorced Beverly Hills socialite is determined to prove to her husband and herself that she can finish what she started, by becoming the den mother of a troop of Beverly Hills Girl Scouts .
- little big league — A young boy is bequeathed the property of a professional baseball team.
- The Longshots — The true story of Jasmine Plummer. At the age of eleven, she became the first woman to play in the Pop Warner Football Tournament in its 56-year history.
Free exclusive movies
- Boiling point (March 19) — Enter the relentless pressure of a restaurant kitchen. In this film, a chef argues with his team on the busiest day of the year.
- A perfect match — When Zoe Williams has to prove to a big investor that her company’s new dating app works, she tests it on herself and soon finds herself on a date with her opposite.